Cabin Therapy - Design is Everywhere even in small town of Danforth, Maine


Cabin therapy would be the equivalent of Apartment Therapy for those stuck in a wooden box somewhere in a wooded area.   So I thought I'd share some of my saved and recycled designs with you.
Someone's old cabinet door makes a great folk art sign in my cabin.  These are the types of signs that hang in these parts of the woods.
Years ago, you could drop off things at the dump and casually walk by the "dump pile" and sneak something off you needed.  Modern day "containers" and new rules have eliminated that.
Old Pal fishing pail, (dented up) and Old Fishing net (ripped and bent) make pretty artifacts on the wall.  I cleaned them up and shellac'ed up the handle.  Little wooden flowers are stuck in the net, making visitors ask is it for fishing, or butterfly catching?
Old fishing basket with old lures attached.  An upcycled branch part keeps it leaning to one side.
I remember being crazy and dumb and riding my bike down the dump road after hours, just to pick the trash piles.  I was very lucky, because there was a huge risk of getting mauled by a black bear, which I didn't realize until many years later, when I saw them eating all over the place at the dump.

Old Yardstick adorns the wall.
Probably hung in an MVA at one time.
Martha herself couldn't have found a better gem in the trash!

Not everything is found at the dump.  Some things were upcycled on purpose.
Upcycled wood makes a great table.  Mallard duck made by yours truly.
 My father called me as he was remodeling an old cabin here in town.  The owner wanted the original timbers ripped out of his kitchen ceiling and new "crappy" faux stuff put in.  He told my father to put the wood out for the burn pile or to take it with him.  My father called me right way, since he knew I was an upcycler.  These boards are most likely from 1900-1920, having been protected by paneling for yeas. My husband made this great table out of the wood, as well as a few more in our camp.   Also parts on it were leftover from some original handmade kids' wooden bunkbeds we found in an old home in Baltimore and couldn't bear the thought of throwing out. We tried to give them away, but no one wanted them, so we kept the wood for other projects.  (*The mallard duck I made myself in the 7th grade! )

Mod old firewood rack came out of Baltimore, was rusty and I painted it and hauled it 800 miles to it's new home.
One of the few things I actually "bought" at a salvage shop, it was $19 and busted up inside, I don't know why I fell in love with it.  Maybe because I have never seen enamelware turkey pans.  It probably came out of Canada as it was found close to the border.

Some things were left here by the previous owner, and I found them to be both nostalgic of the house history, and decided to keep them here. This cool old ski was his son's.

This old boat bumper buoy thing-a-majig I had to hang on the wall.
That's all folks...♥

Popular Posts